The Historic Alpha House
The Historic Alpha House-home of the Gamma Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated–was built around 1912 in the Brush Park neighborhood of Detroit. The twenty-six hundred square-foot, two-story neoclassical style structure has served as home to the Gamma Lambda Chapter since its purchase on May 15, 1939. The interior and exterior of the building have been carefully maintained to retain the architecture and features of the original structure.
The Alpha House was place on the National Register of Historic Place on August 26, 2021 for its historical significance and role in the cultural and social life of the Detroit Community. The Alpha House had been previously listed as a Michigan Historic Site in 1977. The Alpha House is the oldest occupied Alpha House, and the longest continually owned fraternity house by any of the almost eight hundred chapters in Alpha.